Sunday 13 January 2013

Sweet Potato and Ginger Soup

Browsing the blogs taking part in Mrs M's Meal Planning Monday linky, I was hooked by the sound of Lifechanging Soup from Penelope's Pantry, aka Skye Gyngell's Sweet Potato and Ginger Soup - yum! It comes from A Year In My Kitchen. Penelope had mentioned she'd altered the recipe so I searched for the original version online.
 Skye Gyngell,  A Year In My Kitchen
2 large sweet potatoes
2 tbsp unsalted butter (I used olive oil as I had no butter)
2 red onions
1.5  tbsp grated fresh root ginger
1.5 litres chicken stock or water
150ml double cream
1tbsp tamari or normal soy sauce (I used unsalted because I only had stock cubes and they're already salty)
1 tbsp maple syrup.
juice of 1/2 lime.
Melt butter, soften onion with salt then add peeled and chopped sweet potatoes and grated ginger.  Add stock, boil until sweet potatoes tender and easy to mash, whizz, then reheat and add other ingredients.

I made similar changes to Penelope's Pantry in that I omitted the cream and added a chopped, de-seeded red chilli. I also had some sweet red peppers so they went in too. Not only did it taste divine, it had a stunning deep rich colour. The recipe gives 4-6 portions of soup and with the chilli and ginger it really warms you from the inside out. It's a very virtuous soup.

I served it with One Hour Rolls. I would have liked a sturdier, stronger tasting bread with it but I was short on time and these rolls are quick and delicious. Unsurprisingly, my husband immediately dismissed "soup" as not being filling enough but a reasonable sized bowl and two rolls later and he was happy, even complimentary!

No comments:

Post a Comment