Friday 4 January 2013

Pea and Ham Soup

I love soup. It's easy to make and a great way to get veggies and goodness in a nice slurpy bowl. Unfortunately my kids do not like soup, but my husband has recently come to the realisation that just because it's eaten with a spoon doesn't mean it's not a "proper" dinner so I have been cooking more soup lately.

One of my favourites is Pea and Ham. I cook a gammon joint fairly regularly in the slow cooker and this recipe is a great way of using up the left overs. I like this recipe because it uses frozen peas rather than dried split peas, though the latter makes a heartier soup if that's what you're looking for.

BBC's Good Food Pea and Ham Soup
300g thickly diced/sliced ham
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium potato, peeled and diced
knob of butter or slug of whatever oil you cook with
500g frozen petit pois (or normal peas, because that is what I normally have)
1 litre stock - ham or pork if you have it from cooking, otherwise vegetable
seasoning

Melt butter/heat oil and cook onion until soft and clear. Add potato and stir until coated in butter, then pour over stock and simmer until soft. Add peas and season well, bring to boil, then simmer for a few minutes. Remove from the heat and blend (I use a hand blender). Stir in diced ham that you've heated separately or return soup to simmer until the meat is hot and serve. Here is the BBC's picture because I forgot to take one before eating

It is nice with homemade rolls. These One Hour Rolls from What Is On Your Menu This Week are really simple and delicious. I make them by hand and they really are as fast and easy to make as the recipe suggests.

What soup are you cooking this winter?


No comments:

Post a Comment