Wednesday 23 November 2011

Music Therapy

Thank you Him Up North for tagging me in the Music Therapy meme, started by MammyWoo. I love a good rummage around in other people's music collections. I never know what new favourite I'll unearth or just as satisfying, what shit that makes my own musical taste look sophisticated and urbane.

I happily acknowledge my own musical taste is for the popular. Or rather, what was was popular a few years ago.I am not a music snob and will give pretty much anything at least 30 seconds ear attention, however my preference is for indie rock which is not very fashionable at the moment.

The task for this (my very first) meme is to choose 3 songs by 3 bands that speak to me with both music and lyrics.

These are the 3 I chose today. I suspect I'd choose a different 3 in another week. But this is it for today.

1. My Sharona - The Knack
I can't say the lyrics speak to me, but the tempo is so upbeat and it's one of my favourite tunes to dance like a loon to. It's the first song that came to mind. (Watching the video takes some of the gloss of it. Did he cut his fringe himself? While drunk? In a dark room?)




2. Make You Feel My Love - Bob Dylan

I adore the lyrics of this song. It's exactly how I feel about my family, especially my children. I am not a fan of Dylan's voice, so here's the video of the Adele version.

When the rain
Is blowing in your face
And the whole world
Is on your case
I could offer you
A warm embrace
To make you feel my love

When the evening shadows
And the stars appear
And there is no - one there
To dry your tears
I could hold you
For a million years
To make you feel my love





3. Throw Your Arms Around Me - Hunters & Collectors
Not sure why I chose this but it came to mind so I investigated further. I've got so much nostalgia tied up with Hunters & Collectors. They were one of the main bands of my formative years (ie: 15-22 or so) and I have always loved this song. It's sweet and poignant. I just found out Pearl Jam covered it and that makes me happy as I love Pearl Jam too.



Unfortunately I don't know any bloggers to tag to do this one, so feel free to do it anyway.

3 comments:

  1. I love your three choices! I prefer the Garth Brooks version of 'Make you feel my love' though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you.

    Your 3 were all new to me and I enjoyed listening to them. I also liked the Garth Brooks version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've learned something new from everyone who's done this challenge. I can honestly say I've never heard of Hunters & Collectors. That's a great tune. As for My Sharona, I love that song. The guitar solo is just about perfect. Thanks for taking part in this challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete