Friday 20 September 2013

Crockpot Chocolate Cake Recipe

In a recent Meal Planning Monday Post (The Slow Cooker Special) I lamented that I had never used my beloved slow cooker for making either cake or risotto. I rectified one of these on the weekend by making chocolate cake in it. I used this recipe from allrecipes.com which requires:

2 Cups white sugar
1 3/4 Cups flour (I used SR but you could use Plain and add the rising agent)
3/4 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder (what, you mean just 2 Cups of sugar is enough?!)
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 Cup milk
1/2 Cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 Cup boiling water

Grease your ceramic bowl and put in slow cooker. Turn on low. Mix dry ingredients. Mix wet ingredients. Combine. Pour into ceramic bowl. It should look like this:





Cook on low until there are no wet puddles of batter on the top and it's starting to come away for the sides slightly (recommended time 3 hours) then allow to cool for 30 minutes before turning out.

Checking my cake after 2 hours I found the batter wasn't more than luke warm so I cranked that sucker up to high and promptly got distracted doing something else. Coming back to it an hour later I found that it was definitely cooked and starting to burn on the bottom. Don't do that.

The cake itself was alright. It looked incredibly dark - almost black (no that wasn't the burnt bit!) and was quite moist and fudgy in texture. I don't think I'd use it as a normal cake, but as something in between cake and pudding for dessert it was lovely. It had started to stick so I couldn't turn it out but that wasn't a problem because cake's don't last long in this house and it was gone in under two days.




I don't know if I'd bother using my slow cooker for a cake again. Not only does it takes ages and doesn't seem to yield a better result than using the oven, I got fed up of the kids asking if it was ready yet. 

Do you use your slow cooker for cakes? If so, post a link to your favourite recipe and I will keep an open mind. It is cake, after all!

Yes, that's squirty cream







No comments:

Post a Comment