Wednesday 25 September 2013

A Recipe for Healthy Flapjacks


I am going through another phase where I restrict processed foods/cakes/crap that comes into the house. Since my family of gannets won't stop asking for food that means I have to fill the empty bickie tin with something that keeps both them and me happy. I have been experimenting with my favourite ANZAC biscuit recipe which I always back as a tray slice because, quite simply, it's faster and easier than shaping individual biscuits. Today I made some substitutes to make it healthier and - get this - no one noticed! It's very satisfying to feel like I got one over on my picky eaters.

Ingredients
120g coconut oil
large dessert spoon (probably 2 tablespoons) of treacle
1 cup wholemeal self raising flour
1 cup rolled porridge oats
3/4 cup dessicated coconut
2/3 cup soft brown sugar (dark or light)

Method
Preheat oven to 180C
Melt coconut oil and treacle together
Mix dry ingredients then pour in oil and treacle and mix
Press into shallow tin lined with baking paper and bake for 20 minutes or so, until it starts going crispy.

Leave to cool in tray and slice

They're not as sweet as my normal recipe owing to using treacle instead of golden syrup, but it hasn't put the kids off.

To satisfy my pudding loving husband I made him a dessert with sliced up bananas topped with a couple of crumbled up flapjacks and drizzle of warmed Halen Mon Salted Caramel Sauce. Then I ate it and told him there was nothing for dessert. Sorry, Sweetheart.


What do you think? Do you have any recipes you have adapted to make healthier versions? If so, post a link in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment