Friday 20 January 2012

Stylish People

 
Whilst looking for something totally unrelated (as you do), I found this wedding picture of John F. Kennedy Jr and Carolyn Bessette dating from 1996. It's 16 years old and looks as if it could have been taken yesterday or in the 1930s and still have looked as good. There's nothing about it that looks dated and I thought that it epitomised true classic style.

It set me wondering who else has truly classic style. I don't mean those who have been styled to look classic, but rather those who have a personal style that may not be on the runways but which will never look out of place.

This is who I came up with. Feel free to disagree or let me know who you would put on your list.

  1. Kate Middleton, aka Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge
Excluding that sheer skirt/dress monstrosity she "modelled" in university, Kate has refined her style over the past few years. She always looks comfortable in what she is wearing. She wears the hats - they don't wear her. It can't be easy having every item you wear in public endlessly scrutinised but she never looks like she regrets anything she has chosen.

2. Dame Helen Mirren
Helen Mirren looks fantastic on and off the red carpet. Again, she wears the clothes, they don't wear her. You would look at this picture and think "she looks great" not "that's a great dress".  She knows what suits her and sticks to it without looking boring.

3. Bill Nighy
I love Bill Nighy. He always wears a suit, and he wears it well. He never looks hugely comfortable on the red carpet, but I suspect that is more due to being in the public glare than due to what he's wearing.

Then there are the ones who just missed out being on my stylish list:

1. Kanye West
  I like a bit of shiny-shiny as much as the next person, unless the next person is Kanye West.

2. Lil' Kim
 ...or Lil' Kim (she hopefully won't be wearing this "style" in 40 or 50 years)


3. Katie Price
well, I couldn't exclude her.

No comments:

Post a Comment