Sunday 22 May 2011

Kids Movies For Adults

Having 2 children, I've spent my fair share of time at early cinema sessions. More often than not I'm being bored out of my skull watching some asinine rubbish, cursing the fact that I've spent actual money to be in such a situation. I almost look forward to the 3 year old's need to go to the toilet 3 times in 90 minutes (though he manages perfectly well to go 2 hours without a wee at home). At least it's a break from the crap on the screen.

All praise St Pixar. BP (Before Pixar) children's films were all crap. Monsters Inc is the first children's film I can remember seeing as an adult, and actually enjoying. (I didn't even have kids when I saw it, but it was a hot day and the cinema was air conditioned.) The Incredibles was also funny. Cars was very clever and I'm actually looking forward to the sequel this summer. Wall-E... well, the less said about that, the better. But one of the boys I took to see it actually fell asleep. Up was just lovely on so many levels. Pixar raised the bar, and Dreamworks and other studios have followed.

Today I saw Diary Of A Wimpy Kid 2: Roderick Rules with my 8 year old. It was really funny! I think I enjoyed it as much as my son, though I don't think he was as touched by the elder son/younger son relationship changes as I was. I'm so glad we're moving into this 'tweenie' type of film. I don't mind quite as much shelling out £20 for a couple of hours for one of them. I quite liked Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief, and The Sorcerer's Apprentice as well.




Films I would rather poke my eyes out than sit through again include:
Shrek 3
Animals United
Toy Story 1, 2, or 3. I just want to slap Woody's smug face hard.
Yogi Bear
Last Airbender
Alvin and The Chipmunks: The Squeakual.
Hop

Our local cinema is a Vue and their Kids AM sessions are really good value, especially if you spend so much time taking someone to the toilet that you can't follow the plot anyway. £1 for a ticket, and £1.50 for a popcorn and drink. Bargain.


I am looking forward to this summer when I think my oldest will be old enough to go into the cinema on his own, while I sit in the cafe with the paper and a quiet coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment