Monday 31 December 2012

Meal Planning Monday - 31 December 2012

Happy New Year's Eve. How cool is that - 2012 has just about outstayed its welcome and I can hear 2013 heading down the path to knock on the door like the postie with a parcel of something you ordered from eBay but can't remember what it was - exciting stuff! Looking back to this time last year I was amused to see I meal planned for the entire month of January. Can't say I feel inspired to do the same this week.

Here is my plan for the next week. Tonight is Chinese takeaway as promised to the kids, but after that normal food resumes in earnest because, quite frankly, I have overdone it somewhat at Christmas and now feel like poo.

Whole Chicken Done in Slow Cooker
Chicken and Veg Soup
Veg Stew and Dumplings
Sausage Casserole with potatoes of some sort
Minced Beef Yorkies
Chicken or Beef fajitas

I have no plans to bake this week unless my kids don't stop bickering, in which case it might get a little Hansel and Gretel in my kitchen. Fruit and veg will be eaten in abundance because I am a bit concerned they may develop scurvy. 

As always, remember to check out other Meal Planning Monday posts over on Mrs M's blog.

If you are celebrating tonight I hope you do it in style and if you are not, I hope those noisy buggers with fireworks don't keep you awake.





4 comments:

  1. Ooh I've got sausage casserole and slow cooker dishes aplenty too. How do you do a whole chicken in the slow cooker though?
    I know what you mean about fruit, I picked up russets in Sainsos yesterday because I've taken to calling M scurvy boy. Happy new year

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just chucked the chicken in with some water, onion, peppercorns, a bay leaf and a bit of salt to poach. I'll use the stock for my soup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never cooked a whole chicken that I can remember...maybe once when I was a young adult. I think I'll add this to my list of things to try as I do own a slow cooker, but tend to only use it for soups or casseroles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the first time I've done it in the slow cooker, though I've poached whole chickens on the stove before. It went well. We had some sliced with gravy, roasties and veg tonight and the rest will go in the chicken and veg soup, along with the stock from cooking it.

    ReplyDelete