Sunday 9 September 2012

Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies


When I saw this recipe on Pinterest I pinned it to my board, but only because I liked the sound of it and never because I thought I would actually make them. I thought that even for someone with a sweet tooth like mine they would be too much. At 5am after virtually no sleep, tonnes of sugar sounded like a good idea so I made them.

The original recipe is from Picky Palate by Jenny Flake. It's a great blog but the strapline is "Original family style recipes for even your pickiest of eaters" and it's pretty much a no brainer that my picky-eaters are going to eat carbs laced with sugar laced with chocolate, but there are plenty of family-friendly recipes on there that contain actual vitamins and minerals and stuff. I will copy the recipe here, but be sure to check out Jenny's blog if you like the sound of it.

Ingredients (my notes)
  • 2 sticks softened butter (250g)
  • 3/4 Cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 Cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla
  • 3 1/2 Cups all purpose flour (I use self raising and omit the baking soda)
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 10 oz bag chocolate chips (no idea what 10oz is but I used 100g which is what I normally use for choc chip cookies and it was fine)
  • 1 bag Oreo Cookies (there were 9 in the packet I used, or maybe it was 10 and I ate one?)

Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180C or gas mark 4).  In a stand or electric mixer cream butter and sugars until well combined. Add in eggs and vanilla until well combined.
  • In a separate bowl mix the flour, salt and baking soda. Slowly add to wet ingredients along with chocolate chips until just combined. Using a cookie scoop take one scoop of cookie dough and place on top of an Oreo Cookie. Take another scoop of dough and place on bottom of Oreo Cookie. Seal edges together by pressing and cupping in hand until Oreo Cookie is enclosed with dough. Place onto a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet and bake cookies 9-13 minutes or until cookies are baked to your liking. Let cool for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.
Jenny said this recipe made 2 dozen very large cookies and she is right. Because I didn't want that many I divided the dough into 2 equal parts, froze one half rolled up in a sausage in some baking paper to slice off and bake another time, and make 9 (or 10)  Oreo stuffed cookies. 

You can see from my photo that mine look a little like flying saucers and Jenny's look nicer, but I will vouch for the fact that they taste bloody gorgeous and are worth trying if you don't value your waistline or arteries.

2 comments: